Sustainability & Global Citizenship
At Dulwich College International, we aim for our schools, staff and students to “Live Worldwise”. This means Sustainability and Global Citizenship are infused and embedded across our whole organisation. Our goal is to encourage our communities to make informed choices, take inspired action and create positive impact.
As part of a holistic education, we are committed to providing purpose-driven learning experiences that are guided by a deep sense of connection to people and the planet. As an organisation, we are also committed to developing, measuring, and maintaining sustainable practices.
We have defined four pillars that shape our sustainability and global citizenship goals and outcomes: Learning, Planet, People, and Policy.
Learning: We are committed to meaningful and relevant learning that nurtures students as global citizens.
Through delivering innovative and world-changing education offerings that are wellbeing-focused, academically rigorous, socially and emotionally enriching, safe, holistic and world-class, we nurture leaders who are passionate and equipped to create solutions to the world’s problems, both today and in the future.
Planet: We are committed to maximising positive impact and minimising harm, with sustainable and regenerative ideas and practices for the planet.
We have embarked upon a carbon roadmap across all of our schools in a three-step process of carbon mapping, carbon reduction and carbon offsetting.
People: We are committed to working together as a rich and diverse community for the benefit of all.
To reflect this, we continually invest in staff through our “Accelerate” programme and have launched the Worldwise Alumni Network (WAN), which provides alumni with shared lifelong social and professional opportunities. We continue to focus on the health and safety of our students and staff, prioritising wellbeing and offering meaningful engagement as active citizens and through community participation.
Policy: We are committed to building the systems and strong organisational structures to support collective ambition.
We are compliant in all areas across all our schools, including rapidly developing our cybersecurity and data privacy capability and have established a robust internal Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) framework to ensure we hold ourselves accountable at all levels of our organisation.
Global citizenship underpins our mission to ‘Live Worldwise’. Global citizenship is embedded within our curriculum, alive within our extensive extracurricular activities, and lived every day both inside and beyond the classroom. From DUCKS to Senior School, we support and help to empower our students with the guiding statement, “We are on a journey to connect with, care about, and act for all people and our world.” Further, we have developed our Global Citizenship competencies as a growing and living approach to demonstrate what it means to be a global citizen in our school, our community, and our interconnected world.
Global Citizenship Competencies
We use our Global Citizenship Competencies as a guide for our actions, an approach to academics, and to influence our culture as a college and community. We have identified and defined global citizenship through 5 different competencies, embedded our values within them, and created affirmations to inspire positive action.
- We consume responsibly and are responsible for the choices we make
- We strive to maximize our good & minimize our harm
- We protect the planet to preserve and restore it for future generations
- We advocate for people, animals & the environment
- We ensure that Sustainability is a part of who we are & not just what we do
Service & Interdependence
- We seek to connect, grow & learn based on the needs of local & international communities
- We work in partnership with others, not for them
- We maintain our integrity by making informed and ethical decisions
- We show humility as learners, not helpers, ensuring reciprocity & shared agency
- We have a responsibility to learn about different cultures, including our own
- We respect and value multiple perspectives & seek them out
- We understand that individuals are formed by socio-cultural & environmental factors
- We look for opportunities to experience & engage with different cultures
- We challenge cultural biases and ourselves
Diversity and Identity
- We encourage sharing & dialogue for open-mindedness
- We seek to connect with people & perspectives different from our own
- We build an ecosystem of trust where difference is celebrated
- We recognize that our diversity makes us collectively stronger
- We are kind and welcoming to different people to join our groups & communities
Social Justice and Fairness
- We are confident to speak out and stand up against injustice and discrimination
- We recognize our privilege and act to create equity
- We advocate for equality, well-being, and respect for every human being
- We strive to ensure everyone is treated fairly
Global Citizenship in Action at our School
DCB Junior School holds a Dunhuang Mogao Caves cultural event
Junior School’s productive team of budding journalists
Junior School celebrates UN Chinese Language Day through artwork
Earth Day 2022: Invest in Our Planet
DIMUN XI, the Road to Resilient Recovery
Student-led House Garbage Sorting to address SDG#12
Celebrating International Women’s Day
Let’s talk about Global Goals at Dulwich College Beijing!
Dulwich College Beijing unveils its Global Citizenship statement
Empowering people to make their own changes
Noemi S: Reflecting on my Uganda trip with the UN Refugee Agency
Developing sustainability and global literacy through education